I have been getting asked a LOT lately how Plexus fits into my life as someone who had gastric bypass back in January of 2009. First- a little background. At the time of my surgery I was an almost 350 lb food addict who thought that the surgery was the quick and magical fix I had been searching for. I really thought that once I had the surgery, I would never again be able to eat more than a few bites at a time and my obesity issues would be solved forever. BIG MYTH. BIG LIE.
This was all before any of my nutritional training and education and before I went back to school to become a dietitian. This was when I thought sugar-free Oreos were healthy. Basically I just didn’t get it and didn’t fully understand the long term effects this surgery would have on my life. I also didn’t understand at that time that I was a bonafide food addict. Since then, I have been to therapy for food addiction (which is really carbohydrate addiction, but that is another blog in and of itself) and had years of education on nutrition and health and have come to realize something that will make some weight loss surgery patients nod their heads in agreement and some shake their heads in disbelief and denial. If you have had to resort to weight loss surgery, then you have an addiction. It really is okay to admit. There are many factors leading up to this realization that include genetics, personal choice, environment, and the food industry itself and what they do to our food supply to make us crave the boxed and packaged and processed junk out there. I tell you this with zero judgement and only a desire to help. I think therapy should be mandatory for anyone who has weight loss surgery because the surgery fixes the belly temporarily but does not fix the head.
So with that being said, lets chat about why Plexus is such a great tool for bariatric patients. Bariatric patients really need the Tri Plex, Block, and X factor vitamin at the bare minimum. I am about to show you why. But first, here is a little video all about the Tri Plex combo.
- The honeymoon is over. We all know that there is that magical year or so after weight loss surgery, not so much with LapBand, where no matter what we do we will lose weight. After this period is over, the tummy is stretched a bit and things change a lot. This is why it is so critical to make permanent habit changes during the honeymoon phase or else many end up regaining much if not all of what was lost. Introducing the Tri Plex during this phase is a BIG HELP in breaking bad habits. The Tri Plex and Block will keep that appetite under control and help cut the cravings for carbs and sugar and help you stick to the low carb lifestyle that is required to keep the weight off for good.
- Blood sugar. Many post-op bariatric patients can have terrible sugar crashes that can be not only bothersome but also dangerous. Our Slim drink helps support healthy glucose metabolism and is a must for me daily.
- Deficiencies in things like B-12. For most bariatric patients there is a lifelong issue with the absorption of nutrients. Two of the most common deficiencies are iron and B12 and everyone is told when they have surgery to expect to take vitamins for the rest of their lives. I used to have B12 shots every two weeks and my levels never really got to where they needed to be. The X Factor Vitamin from Plexus has aloe blend and New Zealand Black Currant which may improve absorption and assimilation for optimal nutrition for wellness protection. * I have not needed a B12 shot in three years. Several of our products contain B12 and finally my levels are perfect as of my last labs.
- Tummy issues. Many people who have had bariatric surgery can find themselves feeling a little “backed up” or the opposite and finding themselves going a little too often. This is where Bio Cleanse comes in handy. Bio Cleanse helps naturally speed up the removal of unhealthy microbes and substances and helps support your body’s natural detoxification process.* It also has Vitamin C which we all need. It helps keep the digestive tract clean and helps relieve gas and bloating and occasional constipation.* It has magnesium which is also a very important mineral for our bodies.
- Gut bacteria. Keeping the bacteria in the gut healthy is a big piece of the puzzle with weight loss surgery. Pro Bio 5 is an amazing 5 in 1 probiotic with enzyme support. We eat a lot of protein and fiber as part of a low carb lifestyle. Pro Bio 5 contains an enzyme that aids in the breakdown of proteins and fibrous foods. * Pro Bio 5 also promotes Colon health and reduces bloating and discomfort.*
- Appetite control. Tri Plex and Block make for some amazing appetite control.* Block also has fiber and prevents up to 48% of the carbs you eat from being converted to glucose and stored as fat.* This is wonderful for people with blood sugar issues also.* This is how Block works.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to treat or cure any disease.
The bottom line is that we ALL need to keep our gut healthy and create an optimal environment for weight loss, but for someone who has had weight loss surgery, the need is even greater. This is why we have so many bariatric nurses and doctors who use Plexus. It is one tool I cannot imagine living without! Feel free to email me if you have any questions. email@example.com